Welcome to Nha Trang University

Nha Trang University (NTU) is pleased to welcome all international students and visitors to Nha Trang. We are committed to reaching out to the global community and recognizing the importance of establishing international contacts as an integral part of its academic mission. We are happy that you have chosen to pursue your studies and/or career at NTU.

This Guideline is intended to make your stay more convenient and provide you with practical information for living.  Life in one of the top destinations for tourists in Vietnam can be alternately relaxing and chaotic, but it is ultimately an enriching adventure. We hope the information that follows will prove useful, and allow you to carry out your studies or work in a comfortable environment. This Guideline describes practical matters like banking, transportation, living expenses, health care, visas and work permits; and provides other information, such as useful phone numbers and websites. 


People in Nha Trang are well known for their tolerance and open-minded attitude toward foreigners and life in general - the country is known to many as the ‘Land of Smiles’.  We are confident that your experiences at our university will help you discover this fact first-hand




* All visitors who come to Vietnam are required to have an entry visa. Prospective staff and students should apply for a Visa at Vietnamese Embassy/nearest Embassies or Consulate in their home country before coming to Vietnam.

** The following people may have visa exemption, see the link

There are 3 ways to get your entry visa to Vietnam:

1. Tourist visa (C1) see
Type of visa for reference:

An entry visa to Vietnam can be applied for by mail or in person at the Embassy of Vietnam as early as six months prior to the date of travel. The applicant must submit:

- His or her original passport

- One completed and signed application form, with 1 passport-size photo glued or stapled to the form

 - Visa fee

-  A prepaid return envelope, if the applicant requests the visa is returned by mail.

-  Additional documents requested by the Embassy

Call the Embassy/Consulate of Vietnam in your country, or check their website, for details including the downloadable application form (see sample), mailing address, acceptable methods of payment, the amount of the fee, and acceptable types of return mail services. Please refer to the US Vietnam Embassy site for reference: . Other addresses are included in the attached list


    -  In many cities, there are special visa application service companies which you can also use. Be advised that these companies will charge an extra fee for their services.

     - The tourist visa is usually 1-month valid and CANNOT BE extended in any cases. If your stay in Vietnam is less than 1 month, this method is strongly recommended because it is the easiest, fastest, and most secure way of getting a visa.


2. Business/official visa (B1, C2) 

In order to get an official visa, please follow these steps

- You provide Nha Trang University staff an information form (;;) with all the information mentioned in your passport (download form).

- NTU will make a request to the Department of Immigration of the Ministry of Public Security to issue the visas code.

- Department of Immigration will fax a visa code to the Vietnamese Embassies (each person will be issued a number).

- When this is complete, you may go to the Embassy of Vietnam in your country to apply for your visa.


-  Normally it takes about 1 month from the date we receive your information to issue the visa. The fee is subject to the visa type paid by cash at embassies.

 - This type of visa can be extended and used to apply for work permit.
  3.   “Upon arrival” visa

This type of visa used in urgent cases or in case your country does not have a Vietnamese Embassy or it is difficult to contact the Embassy). The procedures regarding personal information are similar to the above, but there is one difference: you receive the Visa on arrival at an international airport in Vietnam (Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City or Da Nang).


- Plan on a minimum of 2 hours waiting at the airport to acquire the visa. Because of the potential to cause serious travel delays, this method is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.

    - Depending on your situation, you should choose the type of visa most appropriate for you. NTU will make every effort to assist you.

Important notes:

     1. Please contact the Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate by phone or email before visiting in person (see the list of Embassies or Consulates General).

     2. If using method 2, personal information should be sent to Nha Trang University a minimum of 30 daysbefore the arrival date.

      3. Make sure to indicate the place where you will receive the visa (embassy, consulate general or the name of the airport if you apply for an “upon arrival” visa).

    4. If mailing your passport and visa application to your country’s Vietnamese Embassy, be sure to use a registered and insured method of mailing.

5. In case of emergency, please contact:  Mr. Luong Dinh Duy at: 84.90.517 0615;  Fax: 84.58.383 1147. Email:

All foreign staff working at NTU must obtain a work permit after getting a business visa.  The Department of External Affairs will help organize the application process and provide the proper documentation.


The following documents are required:

1. Valid passport, certificate of permanent residence or alien certificate (original and copy); and for passport   holders, a photocopy of the following passport pages:

a.  First two pages with photo and personal details.

b.  Pages containing visa and entry stamp.

2. Letter of employment from the concerned department describing the reasons for employment, an organization chart of the workplace, and a list of current alien workers.

3. Documentary evidence of educational qualifications, or CV/resume.

4. Medical certificate not more than six months old.

5. Employment certification form.

6. Official cover page. 

7. Six passport photographs taken within the last six months.

8. Copy of the Agreement for Employment of an Alien.

9. Copy of criminal record

10. Completed Power of Attorney form affixed with a copy of the designee’s identification card.


-  A work permit applies for a foreigner working at Nha Trang University for minimum of 3 months.

-  A work permit is 1 year valid and can be renewed up to 3 years.


Transportation options in Nha Trang are very convenient including buses, taxis, trains, motorcycle taxis etc. The road traffic is not too busy (except holidays), means of transportation is easy to find and inexpensive (further information at CAMPUS LIFE).